Featured on the Today Show
Xawaash-Spiced Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- 1 pound thin sliced chicken breast cutlets
- 1 tablespoon Xawaash Spice Mix
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (20 to 24 inch long) baguette, split and cut into 4 segments
- 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint and/or cilantro leaves
- Sliced fresh or pickled jalapeno, optional
- Put the chicken breast cutlets in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the xawaash and season with salt. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss to coat the chicken in the spices. Let sit at room temperature while you preheat a grill to medium high heat. (You can also use a grill pan.)
- Grill the chicken until well charred and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- To serve, slice the chicken against the grain. Spread half of the mayonnaise on the bottom pieces of the baguette. Layer the sliced cucumber over. Pile the sliced chicken on top. Top with the herbs and jalapeno, if using. Spread the remaining mayonnaise on the baguette tops, close the sandwiches and serve.
Xawaash Spice Mix
Makes about 1/2 cup
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
The Xawaash will keep in a sealed container in your pantry for up to 2 months.
- Put all of the spices in a small skillet and stir to combine.
- Toast over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted and aromatic, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool.